Monday 20 February 2012

Mad Men inspired makeup look

I'm actually totally behind on Mad Men, but I was enjoying it on and off for a while. I have to admit I have no idea what's going on now, but the fashion in the show has drawn a lot of attention. (Banana Republic even did a Mad Men line!)

I think most of us have a character whose wardrobe we covet. I'm a Betty girl all the way! How about you?



Getting on to my Mad Men inspired makeup look. Okay, it was partially Mad Men inspired but really it was supposed to be a 1950s look for my work Christmas party. The theme obviously, was 1950s.

So yes, this is a look I wore out of the house! Apologies for the pics, I tried my best, but I was also trying to get dressed and out the door to the party.


It almost looks like I blurred this on purpose, doesn't it? Oh well, it reminds me of those old style photos. 

My inspiration for this look was simple face, simple eye, with all the focus on red full lips. 

There's a trick to the lips, I applied foundation over my lips as a primer, then drew red lips. That's right, I drew the lips that mother nature didn't give me. This was how they did it back in the day.


Apparently in the 1950s good girls didn't wear eyeliner or eye shadow, but I needed to define my eyes a bit!

Products used:





Okay, I did manage to take one non-blurry pic, but I think it's not the most flattering, but I'll share it with you guys cos I'm such a nice person :P

This post wouldn't be complete without a song from the !950s, so here is Why Do Fools Fall in Love? by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers.




6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love your red hair too by the way. I'm a huge Mad Men fan and can't wait for it to resume in March. About time too after a year and a half.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Ali! Oh, March? That's not too long to wait, I suppose. It has felt like forever, hasn't it!?

      Delete
  2. Oh I love it!!!! And foundation is an interesting tip! I have used concealer to help recountour the lip (for costuming and such) but never thought about foundation. I will certainly try. P.S. the one you think is the non-flattering, I find the most pretty! We are, indeed, our own worse critics. LOVE the song too. Your blog is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might depend on the foundation, but I found it worked really well with my Lunasol. I didn't even need to touch up my lips after several drinks (in glasses!) Awww, thanks. I'm glad I have a friend like you! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...