Friday 25 October 2019

Review: Thinx period proof underpants

I wanted to share with you my thoughts about Thinx underwear. In case you haven't heard of them, they are basically period underwear, i.e. you can wear them with tampons and not worry about leaks or even wear them alone. Some pairs can hold up to two tampons worth.



I had been thinking about trying them for awhile before I caved. They are pretty expensive (about $30USD per pair). I started with 3 pairs around Christmas 2017 and well, I haven't looked back! I now have about 10 pairs.

I mostly have the hip huggers, which are my favourites, but I also have a couple of the cotton bikinis which I also like. I have not tried the thongs or the sports shorts.

What are they and how do they work? 

Basically they are underpants that can absorb your period, almost like pads, and are reusable. They absorb the liquid leaving you not feeling like you're sitting in your,,, well, period discharge, and won't leak out. Thinx recommend you use them with a tampon if you have heavy flow to catch leaks, or for lighter flow days you can wear them alone. (I wear them, no pads or tampons for my entire period without issue! You can tell when they are starting to feel full.)

You just pre-rinse them in cold water when you stop wearing them and then wash them on a gentle cycle when you do your laundry. They can be washed with other items - just hold the fabric softener and make sure to let them air dry.


Pros
  • Convenient - no need to carry pads or tampons if you don't have a heavy flow. This is amazing when you're going on a night out and don't have to use precious handbag space for bulky pads!
  • No leaks - As long as you change the pants often enough (They can leak if they get too full, but I haven't had that problem. I have a medium flow I'd guess, and I find that during heavy rotation, I might change 3 times a day, but that's more down my choice, when I've been too busy or unable to change, I've found no problems wearing one pair all day. I often put on a fresh pair each night though. 
  • Comfort - Maybe girls who wear tampons will argue with me, but I usually wear pads, which can rub and irritate and these are just like wearing normal underpants, so I find no rubbing or irritation down there. Especially when riding a bike, that's a win for me! 
  • No more ruining good underpants! (Or let's be honest, keeping old skanky or stained underpants for period days). And no more worrying about spotting. When it's close to my period, I just start wearing these and relax. I guess this is kinda an overlap with 'no leaks' but I feel it's worth it's own pro!
  • Better for the environment - No more throwing out all those disposable feminine products. I have been using pads for years, so much less bulk going in the rubbish. 

Cons

  • Expensive - A pair of these babies aren't cheap and cost in the region of $30 USD. This becomes a bit more affordable if your flow is light enough to use these as a replacement and they last a year or longer, then you may find that you break even or you save money.
  • Heavier than regular underwear. Yes, they are a bit bulkier than your usual undies, but honestly, it's not that much heavier - I do not feel like I am wearing a diaper/nappy!  
  • Drying time - Outside of the US, we are used to letting things air dry rather than always using a dryer / tumble dryer, and these underpants require air drying. When I'm in the US (usually a place with air con or low humidity) these guys dry overnight, but here in the always damp UK, especially the winter, these can take up to 2 days to air dry. This is actually the reason I have so many pairs now. If they don't dry fast enough, it's hard to rotate them. Also you have to be able to wash them quickly to reuse them on the same cycle (if you only had 3 pairs, which I discovered quickly). 


Overall

I've been wearing Thinx for almost 2 years now. I literally use just Thinx when it's my period. I still have some pads I bought before I had tried Thinx and I keep them around for when I haven't had a chance to do my laundry, or whatever. I mean, I'm not going throw them away, but honestly I probably don't need them anymore! I really would recommend these to anyone with a period. They are life-changing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...