Sunday 20 October 2019

Review: Living proof. Perfect hair Day(R) Triple detox shampoo

I got a sample of this from Sephora with points and I thought I'd give it a try. When I saw it was a detox shampoo, it sounded appealing because I have issues with build up on my hair when I'm in hard water areas (which sadly is often now!)

I have to admit, I've never heard of either the brand Living proof. or the product.

Side note: 
I also have very fine, but lots of, highlighted blonde hair and I currently live in a very hard water area. I do have a softener on my shower head, but I find it only makes a minimal difference. I have issues with build-up on my hair especially in hard water areas - I don't use any styling products. This is just from shampoo and conditioner, and I guess the water. ugh. I've found my hair less fussy in soft water areas. I can use a variety of shampoos and conditioners in soft water areas, but in hard water, many of the same shampoos and conditioners deposit too much gunk on my hair leaving it feeling heavy, sticky, and dull dull dull.

On to the review! 


Brand: Living proof. 
Product: Perfect hair Day (R) , triple detox shampoo
What is it? A shampoo to remove build up on hair

The directions:
Apply to wet hair. Lather. Rinse. Follow with conditioner. Use in place of regular shampoo as needed. For hard water buildup removal, leave on for 1-2 minutes before rinsing. 

Excellent, so they know about the hard water issue! 

I was surprised when I opened the product to find it's black! An opaque creamy black. 



My first thoughts were 'um, is this going to leave colour on my light blonde highlights?' 

I went ahead anyway. Wet, lathered, waited and rinsed. Then used one of my lightest conditioners. 

My results? 

Well, before drying my hair, I was not convinced. Sometimes you can't tell when your hair is still wet, but I can tell if my hair is going to be a tangley mess to deal with, and it didn't feel smooth and happy like my hair does after what I consider to be a good shampoo and conditioning experience that usually then dries to a glossy and soft, not-weighted down finish. 

Upon drying my hair, my suspicions were confirmed. My hair felt heavy and there was a bit of dull tinge to my locks, especially the lightest bleached strands. (For those with light blonde hair or highlights, it was a bit like when you use the purple shampoo/conditioners a bit too often, only instead of a bit purple, it was a bit grey). I caution to say this was only slightly noticeable. 


Overall, I wasn't happy with this product at all. I'm glad I could try it without cost, but I think it's safe to say I won't be spending any money on this product in future. In fact, I'm actually not finishing this sample bottle. It didn't seem to detox my hair of anything, it deposited a bit a colour (which did wash out in the next shampoo), and it left my hair feeling heavy and what I describe as 'dirty' - to be fair, with fine hair I find many shampoos leave too much behind. I wouldn't recommend this if you have fine hair, or very light blonde hair. So to me, it didn't deliver - my hair felt heavier and grosser than before I had washed it. I'm not sure what the triple element of the detox in the title of the product was referring to, but given the poor result, I don't even care to look on their website for more info. Sorry! 

However someone with darker and thicker hair types may find different results. Also if you have soft water rather than hard. As always, hair products really do need to be tailored to your hair type. Any quality hairdresser will tell you that, yet so many brands of shampoo/conditioner trade on the premise that 'hair is hair' as if they are all the same! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...